Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Come, Take, Learn, Rest



"Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. "For My yoke is easy and My burden is light."

Matthew 11:28-30  (NASB)

Father, I confess that  I buy into the “more is better” line of thought -  hook, line, and sinker.  Forgive me, Lord.  As our culture encourages me to acquire more,  do more, and be more all the time, please show me the way out of the rat race!  You do not call me to frantic activity, heavy sighs, and a covetous heart.  Rather, you invite me to come to you and receive rest. 

I know that rest and idleness are not the same. You don’t bid me to lounge about on the couch. You’ve got a yoke you want me to wear.  But your yoke is a framework that connects me to you.   You pull right along side me!  And you promise that Your burden is light – lighter than the one I choose to carry on my own. 

Forgive me for the times when I reject your aid and the lighter load that you provide.  In my foolish pride, though my burden chafes and it’s too heavy, I think to myself, “But it’s mine and I’m dependent on no one!” 

Thankfully, you are gentle, and more humble than I can fathom!  You patiently invite me to lay down my burden; then you wait.  Clearly, you are worthy of my trust. Dependence on you is wise and desirable.  Daily, hourly, each minute I want to come to You. I want to be connected to You, knowing you will provide work that is restful for my soul.   Thank you, Lord Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment