Monday, November 21, 2011

Take Captive

We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.’
2 Corinthians 10:5

Father, you desire  outward and inward obedience.  Both actions and thoughts are involved in this kinetic submission to your Lordship. My natural tendency is to let my thoughts wander... drift... daydream.  Passive rebellion?

It's astounding how much time can be wasted brooding in 'the drift'.  What if blah, blah, blah...then I could blah blah blah.  If only I hadn't blah blah blah.  I also marvel at how far astray I can end up if I deviate even slightly from Your solid truth.  Christ crucified and risen must be my center.


Paul, on the other hand, seems very purposeful and intentional with his thinking. It's almost like he's staged a coup in his mind that establishes the priority of immediate obedience to Christ.  Paul entertains no wishful musings, what ifs, false rationalizations, or vain notions.  He measures life by the standard of the Gospel of Christ.


Lord, remind me to measure every thought against your truth.  Bring me back when You see me distracted or dissipated in my views.  Give me the guts to aggressively tear down systems of thought that set themselves up against knowledge of You.  Empower me to constrain my thought-life to conform to Your way, Your truth, and Your life.


No comments:

Post a Comment