Saturday, November 12, 2011

Teach New Disciples

"Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given to you."
Matthew 28:20
That seems easy.  If I just tell young believers the principles in Your Word , they'll do it, right?  Not so much...  Teaching and telling are not synonyms.  And simple commands often contain hidden levels of complexity.


"Put on your shoes!"  Lord - it's something I tell my kids every day.  You'd think it was a no-brainer command.  However, that is not the case.   What's involved?  First, the kid has to FIND the shoes.  No, no - first, the kid has to be WILLING to find the shoes now instead of continuing in his present course.  So, when the child hears a command like that from me, in his heart he has to say something like, "OK, because Mom told me  and I love her, I'll be glad to do it.  I'll  make her agenda my priority now." 


First he has to be willing.  Second, he must recognize the unspoken subcommand - he has to find the shoes.  Compliance comes more easily when he has established routines.  My kid has to have the  habit of putting his shoes away in a certain spot if he wants to be ready obey the command that he knows will come at some point in the day.  


Lastly, the kid's got to follow through; actually get the shoes on his feet.  He can't be distracted by the marbles on his closet floor, or by the telephone ringing.  He has to be on it!


People need practice at obeying even simple commands.  Telling isn't enough; teaching involves one person giving practice and patiently correcting problems, and the other person offering a willing heart and immediate action.   Teaching involves time.  Teaching a new disciple is an investment.   Lord, I  am willing.  Show me new routines to establish in my daily life that will put me in a position to obey at the drop of a hat. Help me to follow through, because your commands are my priority.   Lord, renew my dedication to teaching the younger disciples in my life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment