Friday, October 21, 2011

Cut it Off; Throw it Out

"Cut it off... cut it off...throw it out"

Mark 9:43, 45, 47*


What captures my attention in that passage, Lord Jesus, are Your imperatives: "Cut it off... cut it off...throw it out" They're like the Nike commercials, "Just Do It." But, I think that You're really after my scrutiny of sins that cause me to stumble. The word 'stumble' comes up 4 times! You're telling me, "Sin matters! Don't ruin your own soul!"

So, it seems like you want me to choose pain rather than sin. You want me to contemplate and recognize, then avoid and part with things which lead to my destruction. And it doesn't sound like You advocate a slow and gentle weaning process. Cut off the sin! Starve it! Get rid of it! Deny it! Yikes!

I don't like to inspect my own sins and temptations. Of course, You know this is hard and I'm sure that's why You show me the stakes here, Lord. Thank you. The reward for taking radical action is entering life. The danger for ignoring Your warning is eternal death.

I have respect for veterans, especially those wounded on the lines in patriotic service. They served their county, they held nothing back.  Perhaps the scars I bear from cutting off my sins will bring honor to You. 



*Here's the full passage from Mark 9:42-47:


42 “Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe to stumble, it would be better for him if, with a heavy millstone hung around his neck, he had been cast into the sea. 43 If your hand causes you to stumble, cut it off; it is better for you to enter life crippled, than, having your two hands, to go into hell, into the unquenchable fire, 44[where THEIR WORM DOES NOT DIE, AND THE FIRE IS NOT QUENCHED.45 If your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off; it is better for you to enter life lame, than, having your two feet, to be cast into hell, 46 [where THEIR WORM DOES NOT DIE, AND THE FIRE IS NOT QUENCHED.47 If your eye causes you to stumble, throw it out; it is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye, than, having two eyes, to be cast into hell"


No comments:

Post a Comment