Monday, October 3, 2011

Hope



  "The LORD delights in those who fear him,
       who put their hope in his unfailing love."


Psalm 147:11 


So here's thing, Lord:  fear and despair always seem to be 'on the creep' in my life.  These two are the exact opposite of hope.  They have no place in a heart that is loved by Jesus.  Yet often I feel apprehensive about the future; I wonder if I measure up; I worry about failing.  I sometimes grow weary of the daily grind; I feel oppressed by the pain, cruelty, and disease in the world.  What is my problem?!

I think the answer is in the first part of the verse.  The psalmist writes that there IS one kind of fear that actually complements hope.  Holy Father, you DELIGHT in those who fear you!    That's it!  I'm fearing the wrong stuff. 

And if I'm fearing the wrong stuff, I bet I'm pinning my hopes on the wrong stuff, too.   I often depend on myself.  I hope  that my portfolio, my skills, and my winning personality will take care of my needs.  I  have a knack for leaning too much on others thinking that their advice,  talents, and presence will guard and guide me.  But you say to place my hope in your unfailing love.   You even say that I give you great pleasure  when I do this.  Wow.  Whenever your Word tells me about a way to bring you joy, I'd better pay attention!

Lord, remind me to continually expect good from you.  When I take time to consider You and the work of Your hands,  I find myself completely lost in wonder and admiration for You. I can walk through my days with joy and hope because Your love never fails.  

And how cool is it,  Lord, that MY hope and awe please you!  

No comments:

Post a Comment