Friday, October 21, 2011

Receive Children; Don't Despise Them

"Whoever receives one child like this in My name receives Me."
Mark 9:37
"See that you do not despise one of these little ones..."
Matt 18:10


This seems like an odd one, Lord.  When I look for Your will and direction in my life, I guess I have preconceived notions.  In my way of thinking, Your will for me should include bigger things.  Yet you're very careful to include receiving kids in your commands to your disciples.  It's not a suggestion.


But, Lord,  receiving little children means wiping noses,  getting sweaty and dirty,  endless games of Candyland, doing crafts, and TIME.  So much time invested in little people who don't even appreciate it!  Besides, little kids are just not my thing.   Hmm - or do I despise them?  Despise means to feel contempt or disgust for something. Uh, oh.  I now see that what I've really been trying to tell You is I'd rather do something else.  In fact, something more dignified that brings accolades would be nice.   


What You're trying to tell me is if I want be great in God's kingdom,  I better roll up my sleeves, and break out the Kleenex.  You've got noses that need to be wiped, basketball games that need to be played, and paper that needs to be glued.  And - wonder of all wonders - I've seen You do this before:  as I obey, You often  convert me, making me into a person who wants what You want. In this case, You want willing,humble service to children. Let it be so.




* Mark 9 and Matt 18 both talk about Jesus's disciples wanting to be the greatest.  He responds by teaching them about humility.  Receiving kids is just one of the examples Jesus uses.











No comments:

Post a Comment