Friday, October 28, 2011

Don't Lose Heart

"We do not lose heart.  Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day."
2 Cor 4:16

Why do we not lose heart, Lord?  Why should I continue to hope in the face of pressing,  perplexing need and sadness?   What keeps the Apostle Paul from despair when he's persecuted and struck down?  Why should I keep believing I can succeed? 


I guess the answer's in the verse: 'inwardly we are being renewed day by day.' It's true. Because the verb is passive - 'are being renewed' -  the grammar begs the question: who is doing the renewing?  You, of course, Lord God, are the active one here.  You are the Renewer. Despair has no claim on a believer's heart.  You equip me with your spiritual armor so that my mind and heart ever cling to the hope that is in You. 'We do not lose heart' because You are acting in our lives day by day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment