Saturday, October 1, 2011

Fear, Give, and Pray



 Now there was a man at Caesarea named Cornelius, a centurion of what was called the Italian cohort, a devout man and one who feared God with all his household, and gave many alms to theJewish people and prayed to God continually. 

 Acts 10:1,2 

Father, Cornelius feared you, gave generously to the poor, prayed continually, and responded to divine direction. He was a man who had offered his life as a living sacrifice to you before he even knew Christ! The beauty of this man’s worshipful life and of your reception of his love touches my soul. You are so pleased by faith. Let me fear you more than I fear my peers, my family, my employer, my culture.  Open my hands to the poor so that the gifts you give me bless others.  Holy Spirit, let me view every experience I have as opportunity for communion with You so my prayers flow in a continuous stream. Make me sensitive to your Spirit so I’ll hear your voice and act without delay, just like Cornelius.


For Context, see Acts 10:1-45:
1 Now there was a man at Caesarea named Cornelius, a centurion of what was called the Italian cohort, 2 a devout man and one who feared God with all his household, and gave many alms to theJewish people and prayed to God continually. About the ninth hour of the day he clearly saw in a vision an angel of God who had just come in and said to him, “Cornelius!” 4 And fixing his gaze on him and being much alarmed, he said, “What is it, Lord?” And he said to him, “Your prayers and alms have ascended as a memorial before God. 5 Now dispatch some men to Joppa and send for a man named Simon, who is also called Peter; 6 he is staying with a tanner named Simon, whose house is by the sea.” 7 When the angel who was speaking to him had left, he summoned two of his servants and a devout soldier of those who were his personal attendants, 8 and after he had explained everything to them, he sent them to Joppa...  30 [When Peter arrived,] Cornelius said, “Four days ago to this hour, I was praying in my house during the ninth hour; and behold, a man stood before me in shining garments, 31 and he *said, ‘Cornelius, your prayer has been heard and your alms have been remembered before God. 32 Therefore send to Joppa and invite Simon, who is also called Peter, to come to you; he is staying at the house of Simon the tanner by the sea.’ 33 So I sent for you immediately, and you have been kind enough to come. Now then, we are all here present before God to hear all that you have been commanded by the Lord.”...While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit fell upon all those who were listening to the message. 45 All the circumcised believers who came with Peter were amazed, because the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out on the Gentiles also.

No comments:

Post a Comment